Chili is a fantastic way to get in lots of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. This particular recipe will provide ~10 grams of both protein and fiber per serving! The daily recommended fiber intake for adults is 38 grams for men and 25 for women. Did you know fiber has many benefits such as helping you stay full longer, promoting digestive health, lowering cholesterol, and controlling blood sugar levels.
Chili is also a great option when you’re on a budget. After breaking down the cost of this recipe, one serving is about $0.95. Amazing right?! This is using canned beans, but dried beans are even cheaper and if you’re using a pressure cooker you can cook them so quick!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2-6 hours
- 1 tbsp olive oil [$0.13]
- 1 medium onion, diced [$0.50]
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced [$0.30]
- 2 bell peppers, diced [$1.50]
- 2 15-oz can kidney beans * [$1.06]
- 1 15-oz can black beans * [$0.56]
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans * [$0.88]
- 1 15-oz can corn * [$0.43]
- 2 15-oz cans low-sodium petite diced tomatoes [$1.27]
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and 1/2 inch diced [$0.98]
- 1 packet low sodium chili seasoning (I used McCormick’s) [$0.84]
- 1 tbsp Primal Palate New Bae Seasoning [optional]1 bunch green onion, chopped [optional]
- Other optional ingredients: shredded cheese, avocado, tortilla chips
* Drain and rinse
Cost per serving = ~ $0.95
Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker XL Directions:
- Set pot to “saute” setting
- Add olive oil
- Add onion and garlic
- Saute ~5 minutes, mixing to prevent burning
- Add sweet potato and peppers and continue to saute and mix for ~5 minutes
- Add remaining ingredients and set slow cooker to low for 4-6 hours
- Serve and top with green onion and other optional ingredients
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low for ~ 6 hours (medium for ~ 4 hours, high for 2-3 hours)
- Serve and enjoy!
~ Don’t have a slow cooker? Check out this 3-quart slow cooker for less than $20!
Leave a Reply